Wednesday 30 May 2012

Salt and Pepper Squid

I am eating a lot more fish now than I was previously, not really sure why, I think its the summer weather which makes me want lighter foods. Anyway I had some squid left over from our trip to Borough Market, and one of my favourite dishes in a Chinese restaurant is Salt and Pepper Squid. However, this is usually deep fried and I wanted a healthier version. This delicious and simple recipe ticked all the boxes. Instead of drizzling over sesame oil and sweet chilli sauce, I had some mango and chilli salad dressing so I doused it in that instead.
















Salt and Pepper Squid (from Good Food Magazine July 2005)
(Serves 4)
(3WW ProPoints per serving)

240g squid
2-3 tbsp olive oil
½ tsp Chinese five spice powder
2 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
little sesame oil, to serve
few coriander sprigs, to serve
sweet chilli sauce, to serve

Ask the fishmonger to clean the squid; little ones often come ready-cleaned. Using kitchen scissors, cut open the body and open out. Wash well, then pat dry. If you have a large squid, cut the body into four portions, roughly square. Small squid can just be opened up.

Using the tip of a very sharp knife, score the top in a neat criss-cross. Brush with oil and set aside while you heat the barbecue or griddle until ready to cook.

Mix together the salt, Chinese five-spice and pepper. Sprinkle on both sides of the squid just before cooking, according to taste. You may not need it all. Heat the griddle pan to hot and cook about 1 min each side, until it starts to curl. Remove with tongs to a serving plate and drizzle with a little sesame oil. To serve, garnish with coriander leaves and serve with small bowls of sweet chilli sauce to dip into.

No comments:

Post a Comment