Sunday 30 September 2012

Spiced Lentil and Egg Supper

Last night I took part in Shine, a walking half marathon through Central London at night. We started at 7.45 and finished at 12.15. It was fantastic! I had an absolutely wonderful time and the atmosphere was great. As well as walking in my own right I was a chaperone for some sixth form girls from school and we managed not to lose anyone!! I also feel a huge sense of achievement, I know that before I started loosing the weight I would have never even contemplated doing something like this, it's a nice finish to everything.

This was the meal I had before I started. I thought the lentils and brown rice would keep me filled up especially as I had to eat before I left home at 4.30pm. There were pit stops around the course with water and cereal bars which kept me topped up nicely!



 
Spiced Lentil and Egg Supper (adapted from WeightWatchers Magazine October 2012)
(Serves 4)
(11 WW ProPoints per serving)

200g dried brown basmati rice
200g dried split red lentils
1 veg stock cube, crumbled
1 tsp turmeric
1 tsp curry powder
1 large onion
1 aubergine, diced
3 garlic cloves, crushed
100g mushrooms, diced
150g frozen peas
squeeze lemon juice
4 eggs, poached

Put the rice and lentils in a medium saucepan and add the stock cube and half the turmeric with plenty of cold water. Bring to the boil, then simmer gently for 20-25 mins, or until the rice is just tender.

Meanwhile, heat a frying pan and mist with cooking spray. Add the onion, aubergine and garlic and mist again with cooking spray. Cook stirring for about 6 mins until softened. Add a splash of water if the veg starts to stick. Stir in the remaining turmeric, the curry powder and the mushrooms and cook for a further 5-6 mins, stirring all the time, until all the veg are soft. Add the frozen peas and stir over a medium heat until heated through.

Drain the rice and lentils and stir into the cooked veg. Check the seasoning and add a squeeze of lemon juice to taste. Serve topped with the poached egg.

No comments:

Post a Comment