Saturday 15 December 2012

Honey Roast Beetroot

This is the beetroot that I had with the Daring Cooks Shepherds Pie I posted yesterday. I don't post most of the veg side dishes that I make separately, as mainly it's just steamed veg, but once in a while something lovely comes along and is worth posting!

I thought I didn't like beetroot. I think I'd only had it from a vacuum pack with vinegar, but I've been wanting to make beetroot brownies for ages and luckily Tesco had 4 organic beetroot for 35p so I bought them. I only needed two for the brownies so I was looking for something to do with the other tow, One recipe I came across was this for Honey Roast Beetroot and I knew it would go perfectly with the Shepherds Pie. It has totally changed my mind about beetroot, it was delicious. Now I just have to find something to do with the last one! Any ideas, let me know!
















Honey Roast Beetroot (adapted from Good Food Magazine January 2007)
(Serves 6)

670g large raw beetroot
2 tsp fresh
2 tsp balsamic vinegar
2 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp clear honey

Preheat the oven to 200C.

Cut each beetroot into 4-6 wedges and arrange in the middle of a sheet of foil.

Mix together the remaining ingredients and pour over the beetroot. Season well, and fold the sides of the foil up a bit and gently shake so that the beetroot is covered in the honey mixture. Scrunch or fold the foil together to seal at the top. 

Place in the oven and cook for around 1 hour, until tender and the beetroot is sticky and glazed.



No comments:

Post a Comment