Sunday 13 January 2013

Cornflake Crusted Coley

So a little while ago I made Southern Baked Chicken which was covered in cornflakes and baked and was delicious. I had a lonely coley fillet in the freezer and really fancied fish and chips last Sunday but I had no breadcrumbs but I did have a small packet of cornflakes and as cornflake crumb worked with chicken I could see no reason why it wouldn't work with fish and it works fantastically with fish! It's also a good gluten free alternative to breadcrumbing.

I also had a saga with the chips. I thought as it was the day before school term started again I would treat myself with some fish shop chips, so I duly put my fish in the oven and run out to get the chips to fins that both the fish and chip shops near me are closed! So I then tried the fried chicken shop but I waited ages and there was no-one to be seen serving. As a last resort I went to Tesco and bought Microwave chips! Totally rubbish! Horrible, not crispy and mushy, but what did I expect?! I really should have just stayed at home and served them with boiled potatoes! So although the fish was delicious the accompaniment wasn't!
















Cornflake Crusted Coley
(Serves 4)

4 coley fillets, skinned
1 egg, beaten
100g cornflakes, crushed and bashed with a rolling pin
salt and pepper

Preheat oven to 180C.

Spread the broken up cornflakes on a plate. Dip the coley fillets in the beaten egg and then into the cornflakes, pressing them, down a bit to make sure they stick and then place on a baking sheet, either covered in greaseproof paper or oiled.

Put the fish in the oven and bake for 15 minutes, or until crumbs are crispy and the fish is opaque.

No comments:

Post a Comment