Friday 8 March 2013

Sausages with Warm Red Cabbage

I'm never really sure what to do with red cabbage but for 16p I was sure I could find something. In the end it sat in my fridge for so long that I gave half to my next door neighbour who enjoyed it with roast, I had a quarter steamed with something and with the other quarter I made this. It is basically the red cabbage I remember from Christmas but with sausages and bread! It was actually lovely and a little bit of mustard on the side really comlimented the flavours.
















Sausages with Warm Red Cabbage (adapted from Good Food Magazine May 2012)
(Serves 4)

8 pork sausages
100ml balsamic vinegar
100g soft dark brown sugar
1 tbsp cumin seeds
140g mixed dried vine fruit, such as currants, raisins and sultanas
1 red cabbage, about 800g, shredded
4 chunks of baguette or bread and mustard, to serve

Heat oven to 200C. Put the sausages on a baking tray and cook for 30-35 mins or until cooked through and golden.

Meanwhile, put the vinegar, sugar, cumin and dried fruit into a large pan and gently heat until sugar dissolves. Bring to the boil, then bubble for 3 mins or until slightly reduced. Tip in the cabbage, stir well, then cook for 10 mins more.

Serve as hot dogs in a baguette with the warm slaw and a little mustard.

No comments:

Post a Comment